Do you have questions, concerns or comments? Send your e-mails to twocanplay.blogspot@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Gaming Outdoors: The Rise of Arcade UFO

While I was in town for GDC, I had to go by Arcade UFO and pay homage to the shrine of my youth. This time, I brought some friends from town with me in a hope to stir up that little bit of nostalgia I myself experienced last time. Immediately, one new cabinet that really caught my eye was DJ Max Technika, a touch screen based rhythm game, which was as addicting as it was complex. It basically plays much like Elite Beat Agents, except the touch screen is left to right on top and right to left on bottom. So as the "notes" appear on one row as you are interacting with the other row and you continue to circle around the touch screen as JPOP/JRock jams out on the digital display above you. There were also a couple new white "candy" cabinets, featuring the highly competitive Mobile Suit Gundam SEED and Daemon Bride. For more information you can check there website out http://www.arcadeufo.com and see if anything peaks your interests. Also, not more than a few weeks later, it was revealed that UFO won the on-line competition with Stride Gum to Save the Arcades. You can check out the report here; http://savethearcades.stridegum.com/. This is fantastic for the city of Austin, because not only does it help to keep the arcade culture alive, but it helps to "Keep Austin Weird". How many other cities can say they have an authentic Japanese arcade? I am sure that $25,000 is going to go a long way in paying for some of the new cabinets they had recently purchased. My friends and I had a great time, especially because we could make that the last stop of the evening (Sushi and Drinks came first).Walking out from the arcade around 1 am, I felt a calming satisfaction being back in Austin for the weekend. I am sure I will come back and the next time will be even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment